Hard Drive Failure

General questions about the fusion belong here.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, Jesse, parametric

stevens119
Junior
Junior

Hard Drive Failure

Post by stevens119 »

Well the hard drive is shot. Not only is it making clicking sounds, but it is causing the display to blink as well. Here's what I need to know...IS it possible to use my fusion without the hard drive attached? Because it starts to power up the goes blank. I should need the hard drive to start this keyboard. The o.s. is in the rom correct??? I can't afford a new hard drive at this time, but would like to use my fusion without the screen bieng messed up. Any suggestions??
jeebustrain

Post by jeebustrain »

isn't your fusion new? Get it replaced under warranty.
MyCrap # Kronos 88 | Fusion8HD | Kurzweil PC361 | Korg Prophecy | Korg MS2000BR | Access Virus A | Redsound Darkstar XP2 | Moog Micromoog | M-Audio Axiom49
stevens119
Junior
Junior

Post by stevens119 »

YEah. I think it's two months old. Got it from ebay though. No Receipt so I have no proof of when it was bought. I am going to replace the drive when I can afford it, nothing else is wrong with it. I dont want to send it back for something I can fix myself. So anybody else? Can it be powered up with the hard drive disconnected?
dhmartens
General
General

Post by dhmartens »

I just looked on ebay and saw several 40gb hard drives for less than $10.
Some $5. Just think of it as replacing a fuse. I would put a higher rpm drive in like a 7200 rpm drive so it would load faster. I think the Fusion will format over 120 gb drives. Those might cost $10.50
stevens119
Junior
Junior

Post by stevens119 »

Yeah, I'll get one in the next week or so...it just sucks that I have to load all that stuff back up on another drive. It was over half full, and it took me a month to get everything on there.
LZ
Advanced
Advanced
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

CF Card?

Post by LZ »

Never tried it, but I wonder if it's possible to run off the CF Card? Did you have your volume backed up?
xmgcx
Advanced
Advanced

Post by xmgcx »

I think the Fusion may use the Hard Drive a bit like a PC to create a few temporary swap files.

There is a very small chance it will boot without it and that your problem might be that the broken hard drive is taking to much current for the PSU, try unplugging the power lead from the HD and then retry booting it.

M
bazz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by bazz »

Not everything would work as some samples are being referred to by absolute location and not relative. That means Analog/wind/fm programs should be ok, but some sample programs could ask "do you want to replace blablabla".

Unless you run it through fusion converter and hit write to CF. Anyways, i would go for a harddisk since they are so cheap.
Fusion 8HD, Yamaha RM1X, GEM WX2+ 2MB smpl ram &256k sram, EMU ESI2000 turbo, m-audio oxygen8 + delta 44, Edirol UM-1SX, AMD64 3200+ 1GB 900GB, Behringer MS40 & X V-AMP, Yamaha QY22, Boss DR 550mkII, Epiphone Les Paul
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

Several months back, I remember a post discussing a system file that is stored on the hard disk drive.
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
AGONZALEZ
General
General

Post by AGONZALEZ »

stevens119 wrote:Can it be powered up with the hard drive disconnected?
There is a post back from July-2006 where Roberto (Hollow Sun) gave his opinion about booting without a HardDisk... I quote:

"Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:48 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... the HD on the Fusion is simply a storage device. Everything else runs from ROM.
I stress that this is an assumption and not factually proven knowledge.
Testing this theory is done so at your own risk."

If you try it and it works, please let us know :D

Wish you luck!
Cheers from Mexico !
(my stuff: Alesis Fusion 8HD / Schecter C7-FR Guitar / Alesis X-Guitar / Boss Pedals / Line-6 & Peavey Amps / KRK monitors / Mapex drums)
Diametro
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Diametro »

stevens119 wrote:Yeah, I'll get one in the next week or so...it just sucks that I have to load all that stuff back up on another drive. It was over half full, and it took me a month to get everything on there.
You had 20 gigs of stuff on it? Like what? I think I've used like .8 gigs on mine.
. . . . . . . . .
Fantom X7, V-Synth, Alesis Fusion 6HD+KP3, Novation X/A-Station 25, Alesis Micron+KP3, Korg MS2K+SP-404
jeebustrain

Post by jeebustrain »

Diametro wrote:
stevens119 wrote:Yeah, I'll get one in the next week or so...it just sucks that I have to load all that stuff back up on another drive. It was over half full, and it took me a month to get everything on there.
You had 20 gigs of stuff on it? Like what? I think I've used like .8 gigs on mine.
yeah, I've had mine for almost 20 months and I'm at less than 2 GB.
MyCrap # Kronos 88 | Fusion8HD | Kurzweil PC361 | Korg Prophecy | Korg MS2000BR | Access Virus A | Redsound Darkstar XP2 | Moog Micromoog | M-Audio Axiom49
stevens119
Junior
Junior

Post by stevens119 »

funny you ask. I actually have a 80 gig hd, so I had 40 gig on it. Well first I stared by adding converting the Kontakt monolith files from NI's elektrik piano to soundfonts using esc, and they sounds real good on the fusion, then I used extreme sample converter to make wav's of my favorite vst's, nostalgia,fm7, fm8, b4, Korg Legacy and alot of files I had in reason, then I took the multisamples I made from the triton, the trinity, motif and fantom-s, ...all programs from each keyboard cloned with samplerobot....then I converted a torrent I found of like 250 drum machines in there...yeah!!! each and every one of em, and something I found online with all the sounds from the old emu units proteus 1,2,3, mo phatt, planet phatt, planet earth, vintage keys and just all my custom sounds, and sample cd's...It took a long time because I had to convert it all with fusion converter..definitely 2 weeks work. But I didnt save it all because I didnt have to room on my computer to save the fusion files, so Im gonna have to do it all again

ALSO : No I am not able to start the keyboard without the hard drive. It comes on and then goes blank.
stevens119
Junior
Junior

Post by stevens119 »

so weird. SO now, after bieng on all day, I turn it off and turn it back on and the hard drive decided that it wants to work now, all of the sudden...
LZ
Advanced
Advanced

backup

Post by LZ »

QUICK - BACK IT UP!!!!