8HD price

Have a cool tip for the fusion? Or maybe you're looking for one? Here's the place!!

Moderators: Jesse, parametric

Maax555
New User
New User
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

8HD price

Post by Maax555 »

Hi all, I have a possibility of purchasing the 8HD for around £350. It’s apparently in excellent condition with no issues. I have. 61 key keyboard so like the idea of the hammer action 88 keyboard. I have a couple of questions if you guys can help?
I am on windows 10. Is there an easy way to manage sound library on windows 10?
Is there an easy way to upload new patches and samples, I’ve seen some packs, Depeche Mode pack of particular interest. Is it easy enough to upload to the 8HD?
Assuming the 8HD only has the factory sounds and samples is £350 a good price for such an old KB?

Many thanks
Cubase 9.5 Pro. PC-11900K, Asus RStrix Z590, 32GB RAM, NVME M.2 4.0 drive.
Steinberg UR44, N.I. KK S61MKii, Komplete Ultimate 12, Omnisphere 2.6, Several Steinberg VST, Korg Legacy VST, Steinberg CMC Controllers, Presonus Atom Controller, Se X1 Mic, Adam Monitors/Sub. Alesis Fusion 8HD, ESP-LTD EC-256 Guitar, Ibanez Bass GSR200
hadley
General
General

Re: 8HD price

Post by hadley »

To me it sounds like a very good price. I would buy myself another 6HD if it came up at that price.
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

What make and model is your 61 key keyboard, if it's a 6HD loading programs, samples , etc. would be the same as the 6HD

The price sounds to good to be true

Check it out good and if possible run the diagnostics on it.
Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
Saul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saul »

For that price, I would be snapping it up! I paid that for my 6HD and then the power supply failed. A common issue with the 6HD due to excessive heat build-up. Not such a problem on the 8HD because there is a lot more room for air to disperse within it.

Importing sounds is pretty much drag and drop. The Fusion mounts as a hard drive in both Windows and macOS. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Dowina Guitars Brand Ambassador
Alesis Fusion 6HD/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab Essential 88/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Ryzen 3600 Hackintosh/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/IK Multimedia iLoud MTM Compact Studio Monitor Speakers.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

A very good price I think. Still competes with the biggest, newest and best workstations with piano actions-or without. Read through some of our posts here, you'll be better able to decide-look over in particular some of our recent posts about updating and repairing our Fusions. Unbeatable workstations IMO, if everything works properly although replacement parts are hard to come by but can be had depending on what you need. You are in the UK so might be harder for you, check with parametric's posts about replacement parts there. In the US, I've managed pretty well, completely resotred 2 8HD's and are now my favorite keyboards-I've owned quite a few, going way back. And anything you may not understand, is here somewhere-guaranteed, including a huge library of programs, multis, sample-based, VA, FM, physical modeling. Don't mean to sound like a fanboy-I own many brands of many instruments-but after a few months with mine-I am.

Possibly the only keyboard I know of that can directly connect and use the Windows operating system to save, upload and download, sounds, songs, midis, just about anything wihout needing a dedicated software librarian. If you understand Windows' file system structure-you will understand the Fusion file structure very quickly, it uses the same architecture as Windows for files and folders. And if you don't understand this, everything you need to know (see above)......One more thing to consider-unlike many user groups where users are having a continual "whine and cheese" party about who is better than who, or why this sucks...some of the most knowledgable people I've ever run across-anywhere regarding music technology-ended up or started here. You will have an incredible knowledge base right here.

One other errant thought-many describe this as "ugly". So are aluminium (or aluminum in the US) Airstream RV's-it looks like an Airstream RV workstation-and you know what those are worth now, if you can find one. The Fusion is a little like that. Just my 62.50's worth.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Here is a very nice Fusion RV. Yours might be missing a few things-the awning and coolers are not included.
Attachments
airstream.jpg
Saul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saul »

I definitely wouldn't mind owning one of those Fusion RV's! :D

We have had a discussion on my other forum about the aesthetics of the Alesis Fusion. I have always loved the way it looks, right from the time I first saw one back in 2005. I still love looking at it. For me, it is a bit like an art-deco spaceship console. And given the incredible power under the hood, I think that Alesis got it spot on. It is quite simply unique :)
Alesis Fusion 6HD/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab Essential 88/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Ryzen 3600 Hackintosh/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/IK Multimedia iLoud MTM Compact Studio Monitor Speakers.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Absolutely, no joke. The basic shape is actually more streamlined and compact than for example a Montage, Fantom, Kronos. it's design was one of the intriguing aspects to this, even years back when i could not afford one new. thanks Saul.
Maax555
New User
New User

Post by Maax555 »

Jesse wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:15 pm What make and model is your 61 key keyboard, if it's a 6HD loading programs, samples , etc. would be the same as the 6HD

The price sounds to good to be true

Check it out good and if possible run the diagnostics on it.
Hi, the only information I can see mentions pressing 1 and 8 while turning on the unit. Does this run through tests on its own from there or are there any particular test I should be running. Thanks
Steinberg UR44, N.I. KK S61MKii, Komplete Ultimate 12, Omnisphere 2.6, Several Steinberg VST, Korg Legacy VST, Steinberg CMC Controllers, Presonus Atom Controller, Se X1 Mic, Adam Monitors/Sub. Alesis Fusion 8HD, ESP-LTD EC-256 Guitar, Ibanez Bass GSR200
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
Maax555
New User
New User

Post by Maax555 »

Many thanks for that sheet, may prove to be useful. What I would like to know is when in diagnostic mode is there a series of tests that are available on the screen and I would simply press a button to run a test? I have looked on YouTube to try see someone running diagnostics but nothing there.
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

There are a series of tests and it will tell you what to do as you go through the process.

Link to Fusion Diagnostics can be found here
https://www.alesismusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6984
Maax555
New User
New User

Post by Maax555 »

So picked up the 8HD, I say picked up, it took two of us to get this to my car. All seems to work fine, did a couple of tests and passed. Midi failed but guess it needed to be connected? All the keys working as they should and paid £300. Not quite worked out what sound banks are on the system and my initial impression of the library system is not great but it probably just takes a bit of getting used to. I need to find a manual, I'm sure there will be one on here somewhere as tried to edit some effects on a patch and struggled to see the actual available effects available.
One quick question if I may, I see a list of categories down the left hand side of the display and also on the keyboard. If I was to edit or upload a new patch and give it a category of say guitar, would it appear in the guitar category and be the last one in the list?
hadley
General
General

Post by hadley »

Congrats Maax

Here is your first stop, for downloading the manuals. The "quickstart" one will tell you everything you need to know to get started.

https://www.alesis.com/products/view/fusion-8hd

After you've played around a bit with the sounds that are built-in (on the ROM) and whatever is already on the hard drive, the next steps are:

1. Make sure you are on the latest firmare (1.24)
2. Get the package with Preset 5 and the Demo Songs
3. Get all the free banks (there are a lot) onto the hard drive
Saul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saul »

That's a real nice buy for 300 quid there Max! Every time I see a good price on an 8HD it always seems to be up north somewhere and of course, I am down on the south coast :(

The file system on the Fusion is fairly easy to get used to. I have not played around with my 6HD for a while now as I am deciding on new monitors so I am just using some Creative Pebble multimedia speakers at the moment. I definitely don't want to be playing through those!

I "think" you can arrange things how you want them by hooking up to a PC or Mac and moving things around but it has been many years since I looked into it so I am sure someone will correct me if that is wrong?