Using an audio interface with my v149

Moderators: Jesse, parametric

frizzlefried
Do you own a fusion?: No

Using an audio interface with my v149

Post by frizzlefried »

I am seriously considering purchasing a presonus audio Box usb 96. Right now I have my v149 directly attached to my macbook pro using an apple multiport adapter.

When i buy the audiobox am I correct in assuming that I attach my midi out on the v149 to the audiobox and then I connect the audiobox usb to my macbook pro? Or do I use the usb on the v149 into one lighting port and then the usb on the audiobox into the second lightning port on the audiobox?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new to all of this.
Saul
Administrator
Administrator
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Re: Using an audio interface with my v149

Post by Saul »

Hi, frizzlefried, welcome to the forum :)

I have owned the Presonus AudioBox 96. Excellent Audio/MIDI interface :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I am not sure it matters a great deal which way you connect these. There is no advantage in connecting the V149 to the AudioBox as it is purely a MIDI controller keyboard so it is only MIDI data you are sending. You can get the same data going into a DAW by connecting it directly to the computer.
Dowina Guitars Brand Ambassador
Alesis Fusion 6HD/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab Essential 88/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Ryzen 3600 Hackintosh/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/IK Multimedia iLoud MTM Compact Studio Monitor Speakers.
Maax555
New User
New User

Post by Maax555 »

I'm assuming you are using the audio box for audio out or you have a need for audio input to your computer.
I've always connected my USB keyboarss direct to the computer. If you use midi you will need a power source which could well the the same USB cable you are using now so don't think it makes much sense to use the midi?
Cubase 9.5 Pro. PC-11900K, Asus RStrix Z590, 32GB RAM, NVME M.2 4.0 drive.
Steinberg UR44, N.I. KK S61MKii, Komplete Ultimate 12, Omnisphere 2.6, Several Steinberg VST, Korg Legacy VST, Steinberg CMC Controllers, Presonus Atom Controller, Se X1 Mic, Adam Monitors/Sub. Alesis Fusion 8HD, ESP-LTD EC-256 Guitar, Ibanez Bass GSR200
frizzlefried

Post by frizzlefried »

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I guess the conclusion I am coming to is to buy an apple usb to lightning connector and plug the audiobox into my second lightning port. That should be fine then right?

So does the midi out from the keyboard still need to be run to the audiobeox midi in or will that not even be necessary if the v159 is going directly into the macbook?
Saul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saul »

If you are plugging the V149 directly into your Macbook, you do not need to also plug it into the AudioBox.

If you have a standard 5 pin din type midi cable already then yes, plug the V149 into the AudioBox. That would save you needing to buy a USB to lightning port adapater.
Alesis Fusion 6HD/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab Essential 88/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Ryzen 3600 Hackintosh/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/IK Multimedia iLoud MTM Compact Studio Monitor Speakers.
frizzlefried

Post by frizzlefried »

You have been extremely helpful thanks. Do you happen to know what the headphone out jack on the v159 can be used for? I tried hooking up headphones to it and no sound comes out. My macbook doesn't even recognize it as an output.
Saul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saul »

frizzlefried wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:08 pm You have been extremely helpful thanks. Do you happen to know what the headphone out jack on the v159 can be used for? I tried hooking up headphones to it and no sound comes out. My macbook doesn't even recognize it as an output.
I am pretty sure the V149 doesn't have a headphone out jack. It has a sustain pedal jack. Perhaps that is what you thought was the headphone socket?
frizzlefried

Post by frizzlefried »

No it has one for sure
Saul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saul »

frizzlefried wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:59 pm No it has one for sure
The V149 definitely does not have a headphone jack. Are you sure you are talking about the Alesis V149?
VI49_Angle-Front_RGB.png
VI49_Back_RGB.png
frizzlefried

Post by frizzlefried »

I am so sorry. I need to put my foot in my mouth. I really appreciate this forum. Obviously I need a lot of help
Please accept my humble apology.
Saul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saul »

That's fine. I am just curious as to why you thought the Alesis V149 had a headphone jack when it very clearly does not. :think:
frizzlefried

Post by frizzlefried »

The combination of me mistaking the foot pedal port for one combined with an incorrect answer to a question on amazon.
Saul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saul »

frizzlefried wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:50 am The combination of me mistaking the foot pedal port for one combined with an incorrect answer to a question on amazon.
Ahh, got it. Yeah, I can see why that would be confusing. Especially Amazon. I have seen so many misleading, incorrect comments for products there. Hence why it is always good to find forums like ours :handgestures-thumbupleft: