Administrator
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Fusion IDE & SATA connections

Post by Jesse »

Fusion IDE & SATA connections
Attachments
Fusion IDE and SATA connections.pdf
(194.27 KiB) Downloaded 584 times
Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
parametric
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fusion IDE & SATA connections

Post by parametric »

Hi Jesse,

Interesting observations there . . .

Its been a while since I had my 8HD open, but, am I right in thinking the internal (IDE) HD is connected to the UNLABELLED upper connector on the digital expansion pcb?

I DID try a while back, to connect a SATA drive to the external port (I powered it externally) with no success - as has been reported.

As I recollect, regular IDE controllers are usually used with a 3-plug ribbon cable, utilising the master and slave jumpers on the drives, to implement two drives . . . .

I wonder if anyone has tried this with the Fusion's controllers?

The story I gather with the Fusion, is that the ext.SATA was never implemented in OS1.24 . . .

I wonder if this is TRULY the case - or perhaps its just that the 0336-B board is not well done?

A while back, I purchased the little board shown below for about £7, but have not tried it with anything yet . . .

It claims to be bi-directional . . .

Plug it into an IDE CONTROLLER and it will drive a SATA HD - OR
Plug it into an IDE DRIVE and it will connect to a SATA controller

Maybe it would enable us to use a SATA drive internally - when IDE drives get scarce?

I wonder if it would work plugged in to the [IDE 0 SATA] IDE socket on the Fusion?

If it worked, it would not be hard to lose the 0336-B board altogether and fix a SATA socket in place of the existing one . . . .

Here's the board . . . .
IDE_SATA1.jpg
(21.16 KiB) Downloaded 4361 times
IDE_SATA2.jpg
(22.21 KiB) Downloaded 4361 times
I have the family visiting for Christmas Day, but perhaps I'll get to try some things with this board and the Fusion a bit later on in the holiday.

I'll let you know what happens if anything . . . .

I'd be interested in any observations you have on this . . . . . :)

Best Regards

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

I could not tell if the IDE port that is connected to the internal IDE hard drive is IDE 1, I would assume so since the SATA connector is conected to IDE 0. This is odd as usually your primary boot drive is connected to IDE 0.

Maybe the IDE 0 port is not enabled in the Fusion BIOS and that is why the SATA connection does not work.

The thing to do when someone has a Fusion open is to connect a IDE to SATA convertor to the IDE cable going to the IDE internal IDE drive an connect it to a SATA drive using the Fusion drive power supply as well and see if the SATA drive works.

If it does then it would be safe to say the IDE 0 port is not enabled. Unfourtunately we don't have access to the Fusion's BIOS setup like we do with a computer.

Maybe it would be good to also connect a IDE to SATA convertor to the IDE cable going to the internal SATA convertor an connect it to a SATA drive using the Fusion drive power supply as well and see if the SATA drive works or connect an IDE drive to the IDE 0 port to see if it will reccognise and IDE drive.

Then again, maybe there is only one IDE port (IDE 0) with the internal IDE port to the internal IDE drive as the master and the IDE port to SATA convertor as the slave.
Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

I know this is an old post-but after dissecting my Fusions with the new "flip-top" case (only kidding might as well make it one) Jesse-did you or anyone ever try connecting an IDE drive to the 40-pin IDE socket on the secondary mainboard-with an IDE drive as you described in this older post? I have the hardware and several spare drives, 3.5" and 2.5"-a little reluctant to dissect one of my Fusions again-finally got both together, installed memory expansions in both and working sigh....but if this works-I would run a 40-pin cable out the back panel somewhere-might even work with an IDE CD drive. I've read posts here that an SATA drive will show up from the diagnostics screen-showsis something working in these boards somewhere-even if it can't fully configure a drive to work from the Fusion OS. And have any Fusion owners formatted their SATA drives as "RAW" before trying this SATA port connection? I just discovered-with a new SATA main drive, the only way I got my PATA SSD to format in the Fusion-I had to "bare" format it in Windows from computer management administrative tools-meaning no formatting at all-it only allocates a basic fat table with no drive letter and no formatting-when I formatted it with Windows as FAT32, it failed in the Fusion. I'm wondering if this might be why no-one can get an SATA to work with this as a secondary drive-or has Alesis already acknowledged that they never implemented this? I found one official older Fusion advertisement/description that claimed this SATA outboard port was already a functioning part of the Fusion! Harumph.....!!!
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

I believe I did but I'll have to search my records :(

I was able to get the Fusion to recognize a SATA II or maybe it was a SATA I drive connected to the external SATA port and format it, but that was all I could do with it.

Word of caution if you do connect a SATA drive to the external SATA port be sure to disconnect your internal IDE/PATA drive before trying to work with or format the external SATA drive

IDE0 goes to the external SATA port

IDE1 goes to the internal IDE HDD
Alesis Fusion Digital Expansion PCB 1a
Alesis Fusion Digital Expansion PCB 1a
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

OK-there is something here somewhere posted about the fact that trying to format an external SATA drive also formats the internal drive-wiping it. I have everything backed up in several computers, with all the work compiling these sounds on the Fusions, believe me I've backed up everything. And I don't think I'll be up to trying that real soon, pretty worn out from restoring these 2 monsters. but I will eventually. Thanks Jesse.
parametric
Administrator
Administrator

Post by parametric »

Jokeyman123 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:37 pm OK-there is something here somewhere posted about the fact that trying to format an external SATA drive also formats the internal drive-wiping it.

This is exactly as I understand it. My opinion is that the eSata port was never (fully) implemented in OS1.24

More disbelief surfaces when you discover that the Diagnostics contains an option to test the external HD.

Fusion ext HD.jpg
Fusion ext HD.jpg (42.68 KiB) Viewed 585 times

Beyond this - it seem to be unusable in any way . . . . . :(

What I have NEVER tried, is to fit a standard IDE ribbom cable (with the THREE connectors - MASTER and SLAVE) to IDE-1

Attach TWO HDDs and see what the Fusion's OS makes of it?

With NO internal settings in the SW to address such a possibility - I somehow doubt there is a way forward . . . :think:

I think the original intention was to fit a CD-R to the eSATA and so "publish" your "Song" direct to CD - but it was never finished.

Chris
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris