Help - Keys not working on new Fusion 8HD

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, Jesse, parametric

tawakoni1

Help - Keys not working on new Fusion 8HD

Post by tawakoni1 »

Hi - I was so excited today my new Fusion 8HD arrived (Sweetwater version). :D Unfortunately, it appears there is a glitch with the keys. :( It seems like it might be software rather than hardware because of the pattern of the proglem. Starting with the lowest D then going up eight 1/2 steps to Bb, the same interval up to F#, same interval to next D, same interval to next Bb - pressing these five keys produces no sound in any program or mix.

Any ideas at all how I might reset or reinitialize something to correct this problem? I am bummed to think I might have to ship it back for service.

I have spent a lot of time trying to understand which new keyboard I wanted (I have an Alesis QS8 that has been perfect for 12 yrs) and, despite problems I've read of, I think the Fusion will be great for me. I pray that I will not be unlucky with a buggy board.

Thanks for any tips or advice or even sympathy! :?
ole
General
General

Post by ole »

Try to midi it up to your QS8 and see if those keys produce midi-output?
tawakoni1

Post by tawakoni1 »

I did this and it worked fine except the same keys are not triggering any sound. Also, the "tempo" light always flashes. Is it supposed to do that even when you are in Program mode?
9Ether
General
General

hmm....

Post by 9Ether »

Seems like you and I have a similar problem.

http://www.promusicproducts.com/forum/p ... php?t=4382

Having notes that don't sound when you press them is very frustrating, and makes the keyboard useless. You should take solace, however, in the fact that your case is not isolated. You know of at least one other user in the same boat. :(

You have a brand new unit that is not working properly. Sweetwater should have caught this problem at the door, since they did all the upgrades. I've had mine for about a year and a half. I Installed the memory expansion myself and that's when all my trouble started. Hope I resolve it soon, though cause it's really holding me back. It just happens to often to be ignored.

You should be careful at this point about how you proceed, too. I wouldn't do anything to the hard drive either such as re-formating it, without backing it up. I'm not sure this would help anyways cause I think the problem is software. The reason I say this is because in my case, if I strike a key that is not sounding enough times, it will eventually sound but randomly. If the patch was missing a sample the Fusion would let you know, and wouldn't load it in to memory. Does this happen to you? I honestly think the issue is either the o.s. or the memory expansions.

Knowing what I know now, if I where in your shoes (within the return/exchange period), I'd send it back to sweetwater and ask for a repair or my money back. Good luck.
Alesis Fusion 8HD | Ibanez SR506 | Yamaha DTXtreme III | Logic Pro 6.4.3 | ...
tawakoni1

Post by tawakoni1 »

Thanks for your reply, I will probably send it back. I'm leaning more toward thinking it really is simply a hardware problems because there was no Fusion software involved when I hooked it up as a controller to my QS8. The exact same keys do not work, even using the QS8 as the sound engine. The hard drive is also making buzzing and clicking noises now - not a good sign. Hope they replace it instead of trying to fix it.
silverspar1
Junior
Junior

Post by silverspar1 »

I've had mine for three days and I'm having error codes pop up already. When this happens my whole board freezes up and no keys will work. It just make me sick knowing that I may have to have it serviced because that means it will be gone for at least a month. Quality control sure could use some big improvements !!!
My Junk- Fusion 6HD, Tascam US-428, C-V Tube Pre and CO1 S. Cond., Beta 57, Acid Pro 6, EZDrummer, Korg Legacy Coll.,G. Rig 2 + 3. Amplitude 2, NI B4 Organ sim, NI Pro 52 + 53, many VSTs, Fender Tele, Adobe Aud. 1.5 for Mastering, Tas. 788 for live rec.
eximious
General
General

Post by eximious »

Silverspar: Yeah, that's the danger with getting refurbed units. At least, theoretically Sweetwater should be checking the units when they upgrade. Some errors still slip through though, I suppose.

I've always been wary of refurbished electronics, but I suppose sometimes the lower price justifies the higher risk.

Tawakoni: Any new updates? Did they send a replacement?
TV / Film Production, History, Music
salsaman
Junior
Junior

Post by salsaman »

tawakoni1 wrote:Thanks for your reply, I will probably send it back. I'm leaning more toward thinking it really is simply a hardware problems because there was no Fusion software involved when I hooked it up as a controller to my QS8. The exact same keys do not work, even using the QS8 as the sound engine. The hard drive is also making buzzing and clicking noises now - not a good sign. Hope they replace it instead of trying to fix it.
When I first got my 8HD I had the same problem with two keys not playing. I don't know how comfortable you are at opening up your keyboard, but I opened up my keyboard and cleaned the key contacts of the offending notes. That solved the problem. As far as the noisy HD drive goes, you can replace the drive with almost any off the shelf PC HD. I put a much larger HD in my Fusion for more disk storage space. I simply removed the stock HD and hooked the stock Fusion HD to my PC as a slave so I could copy it's contents, then copied that image over to the new larger HD. I then installed the new HD in the Fusion and booted the keyboard up. I then proceeded to install the latest OS onto the Fusion to get it up to date.

I make these suggestions only as an alternative to sending the keyboard in for service. Alesis will take care of all of your issues if you choose to send the keyboard in for service. I didn't want to send mine in and enjoyed learning more about my Fusion; hardware wise.

I would be somewhat disgruntled if I had received a new unit and it wasn't working correctly and agree that Sweetwater should have caught these defects. I think you will find that the Fusion will be a great keyboard when you get all the kinks ironed out of your keyboard.

I also installed the sample memory upgrade in my Fusion 8HD with no difficulty. I think Sweetwater is the only retailer selling the keyboards with the extra memory included in the purchase price.

Good luck.
The Musician's theory of relativity:
E=Fb
frabas

Post by frabas »

Got the same issue. I received a Fusion 8 from Sweetwater, and keys F3 to C4 were dead. Sent it back, and received another one yesterday: once again dead keys (not the same however). This raises a question: who should improve their quality control? Fatar? Alesis? Sweetwater? Does the sudden price drop hide poor quality?
salsaman
Junior
Junior

Recycled keyboards

Post by salsaman »

:roll:

Perhaps Sweetwater is getting low on inventory of the 8HD and you are simply getting one of the 8HDs that have been returned by someone else. I contacted Alesis Service department and was informed that Alesis is no longer manufacturing the Fusion and when retailers run out of inventory, that's it. They will still honor your 1 year warranty. I would contact Sweetwater directly and see if they can assure you that you are getting a brand new keyboard and not a returned defective unit. Sweetwater should be able to tell you how many more Alesis Fusion 8HDs are left in inventory. You maybe getting one of the few remaining units.
The Musician's theory of relativity:
E=Fb
frabas

Post by frabas »

Good point. I called Sweetwater and they told me every Fusion is thoroughly tested during the update. So far, I still trust them. Interresting to notice, the dead keys are every 8 notes, which instantaneously ligthed on my binary cicuitry. I guess the keyboard-main board connector doesn't like being shaked. A pretty common problem on some other synths, by the way. And I'm badlucky enough to have twice the same problem. Does anyone kwow a good exorcist? :wink:
ole
General
General

Post by ole »

Hm. I've read something about that problem, but is was on another synth. I believe it was a simple fix. Go google.