ARPS/PATTERNS/SONG MODE aarrgghhh!!!

Moderators: Jesse, parametric

Jokeyman123
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

ARPS/PATTERNS/SONG MODE aarrgghhh!!!

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Parametric had posed this question a long time ago here, I've also studied the reference manual (ugh) and Psionic's and others' posts. I am still a bit unclear about how to get the arpeggios playing in song mode. That's my question-how do I get arpeggios playing in song mode?

And can I trigger more than one? I'm not even sure this is possible after all my studying although I see how these can be triggered-at least one, using the "mix" laer/split mode since there are so many nicely created in the Fusion factory examples.

Actually, the arpeggios seem to be a very 'deep" part of the Fusion after all. I suppose I could keep stumbling along and figure this all out myself, but don't have infinite amounts of time. I have managed to create a "pattern" although I'm not entirely sure how I did it exactly! And I'm still puzzled-how a pattern can be used in a song track-if it can. I understand a "pattern' (I think) is another word for an "arpeggio"-maybe not in the strict musical sense-but as far as the Fusion terminology? Some of these functions are like learning to decipher the Rosetta Stone-thanks to all the years of posts here-I'm learning more from studying this user group than I am from the reference manual....oh well
parametric
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ARPS/PATTERNS/SONG MODE aarrgghhh!!!

Post by parametric »

I never pursued this further Joe, principally because I don't compose this way. I don't use ARPs or loops.

I play EVERYTHING in . . . .

I found the Fusion to be too fiddly for manipulating midi. ALL operations require a start point and and end point (Measure/Beat/Tick), which

requires that you keep copious notes of these positions in the song. YES - it's very precise IF you are prepared for the Phaff of doing it . . .

DAW is SO MUCH easier, and thankfully the Fusion's export capabilities are quick and easy using the CF card, or (if Audio) - I solo the

necessary track(s) and record from the S/PDif OUT to my MicroTrack 24/96 . . . . ('though you CAN export audio to CF too)

PROBABLY - this could be easier and more convenient if my Fusion was next to my DT machine, and setup properly with my Akai EIE Pro

Audio/Midi I/F, but I can't do that the way things are here . . . .

That said, the Fusion remains GREAT for inputting my parts the way I do . . . . :clap:

Chris
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Thanks Chris-i am a realtime "linear" recording musician too-from the days of actually having to perform songs from beginning to end with no editing-like in a band or ensemble, remember those days? Just was intrigued by the possibilities-probably due to some of my early percussion studies, where what we now call "world" music very often is based upon repetitive loops. African drumming-always fascinated me because of looping polyrhythms-and then I heard Elvin Jones-who did this by himself! And of course Ginger Baker, god bless 'im! (I'll put you in hospital!!!) Look that one up on Google. And Steve Reich did something with loops and percussion in a very unique way-using one drum loop-and adding to each loop slightly out phase rhythmically-very difficult-and gradually becomes amazingly complex and interesting (IMO) I have my original vinyl called simply "Drumming". I am going to try some of this on the Fusion. Thus my interest in "loops" not in the usual sense. Not everyone's cup of tea. But then my favorite fusion sound is 'wormhole".

https://www.classical-music.com/feature ... ercussion/

Just briefly-I discovered anothe bitty bit which I do not believe is described anywhere (could be wrong). I

If I record just one track, and turn on looping in that track after setting loop points, it won't loop. If i turn on looping in the track and the song, it still won't loop. Now I'd swear I'd gotten this to work-but couldn't figure out what I did before that i didn't do now!!!! Well-surprise-nothing will loop until you record something else-beyond the one and only loop point. Again, like parting my hair on the opposite side just to see what it feels like. In some bizarre world guess this makes sense, but then all the world has seemed a little bizzarro lately.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

From 2006 posts-this is what I wanted to know....took an hour or 2 to find this. All I have to do is select an arpeggio for each-well anyway.

https://www.alesismusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1547