Looking for information on the QS8

Moderators: Jesse, parametric

diggie
Do you own a fusion?: No

Looking for information on the QS8

Post by diggie »

I'm repairing an Alesis QS8 as project. Someone was selling one that was very beaten up, and I like fixing up old gear and breathing new life into it.

It's an original QS8, not the 8.1 or 8.2. What's odd is that the service manual says various 14 10uF caps around the main board should be 16v rated but it has 63v rated caps in their place, and C15 should be 2200uF and 16v rated but what's on the board is 1000uF and 25V rated.

It's the latter that concerns me the most.

Possibly the board was recapped at some point, or possibly the service manual that I could find is just outdated.

Does anyone happen to have any good information?

P.S. Please be careful if if you're opening a QS8, the aftertouch cables on the left are easily damaged.
diggie
Do you own a fusion?: No

Re: Looking for information on the QS8

Post by diggie »

Well, no sooner did I post this than I found a note that on 11/19/06 they changed one of the supply caps from 2200uF to 1000uF to fix a VCO locking up! It looks like this board has that fix.
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Re: Looking for information on the QS8

Post by Jesse »

Good to know, thanks for sharing that information :)

Jesse
Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks