Physical modeling-programming new sounds

From helpful tips to frustrating problems, this is the place.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric

Jokeyman123
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Physical modeling-programming new sounds

Post by Jokeyman123 »

After auditioning the PM sounds in the Fusion-in particular a few of the more unusual sounds-I am intrigued with, and have tried a bit of PM programming-but I can't seem to find much about how the settings work, here or elsewhere. Even reading KPR's assessment right here. I understand the acoustic concepts involved-I play brass and woodwind instruments-but if anyone can give me more insight into how to program PM, how the programming parameters actually work, jesse the proboards link oif course is long gone-and I haven't found anything at the Fusioneer user group either. I am very familiar with the Yamaha WX's-own the WX7 and 11 nd play regularly-but I am more intrigued with creating non-traditional sounds, something like what I have audtioned-the program "reed whacker" (H1-"more" bank on my Fusion) comes to mind, yikes what a sound! Thanks.
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Physical modeling-programming new sounds

Post by Jesse »

JD, I edited the links on the Fusion Club pertaining to this.

There are a lot of links on both the new host site for FusionZone and The Fusion Club I am constantly updating them as I run across the links to the old host site for the FusionZone, It's a lot of work, but needs to be done.
Thanks for letting me know about these :)

https://fusioneer.proboards.com/thread/ ... llTo=18517

https://www.alesismusic.com/viewtopic.p ... 480#p34323

https://www.alesismusic.com/viewtopic.p ... Fusionzone

This is the other link about wind controllers https://www.patchmanmusic.com/WindControllerFAQ.html
Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Thanks again Jesse, I will study these links. If I can come up with some original programs, I will post here.
kpr
Advanced
Advanced

Post by kpr »

In Physical Model, you work with parameters just like in normal instrument costruction and manufacturing. So you have to deal with mouth piece and air passage, plus filter, envelope, etc. as in the synthesizer. A great construction kit, but difficult to understand for most keyboard players.

Who plays wind instruments has better cards and can use the relevant parameters more specifically. My experiences with Fusion's PM are different, some sounds are great, others are almost to be considered crap. The Alesis people themselves were not so satisfied at the time and have already said at the factory voicing, we sound designers should not deal too much with it and rather do something with VA and FM :)

In one of my sound banks I made some PM sounds and I think they are quite good, but that's all it's given me so far, I preferred to work with FM then, that's one of the most interesting sections in Fusion and there's still a lot to explore.
Rock´n Roll is music, not driving instructions.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Thanks KPR-I had studied your info regarding these, and the sounds you'v programmed-the reference manul gave me a basic understanding of the Fusion version of this-although did not give too detailed a description re how the parameters might directly determine the resulting sound. Even knowing what I know regarding acoustics-hasn't helped here much! Yes I can see how alesis did not make too much of this synth engine. th possibilities for creating non-traditional wind sounds are there-but looks like it will be trial and error for programming. Excellent work on your programs by the way. This is the first keyboard that has tempted me to sell my SY77 based on what I'm hearing with the Fusion FM sounds-pretty amazing-but still, the SY77 is my benchmark for FM after all this time-espcially since I think after over 30 years-I had one of the first-there might be one person somewhere who knows how to program RCM! I've done it, but then I had to go back to the mothership.....

:auto-iroc: :auto-camptrailer: